Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Friday, October 31, 2014

Hockey Is My Boyfriend (Part Two) by Melanie Ting: Character Interview

Hockey Is My Boyfriend 

(Part Two)

by Melanie Ting


Kelly Tanaka has moved on. Moved on to university and a whole new life in Montréal. She left behind her high school boyfriend, Phil Davidson, even if he keeps trying to rekindle their romance. The only thing she hasn’t left behind is her fear of commitment. 

Luckily for her, a job at a summer hockey camp is the last place she would expect to meet Mr. Right. Sure enough, from an overconfident ladies man to a tongue-tied nerd, all the guys here are Mr. Wrong. And there’s no way she could be interested in a tall, muscular centreman with the face of a fourteen-year old.

Even if he is the best hockey player she has ever seen in real life.

This book contains adult language and sexual scenes, and is suitable for readers 18+




Character Interview  

Please welcome Phil Davidson, James Frechette, and Kelly Tanaka, from Melanie Ting's Hockey Is My Boyfriend series to Diane's Book Blog.


What is your name? Do you have a nickname?

Phil: Hey, I’m Phil Davidson. I get called P.D. by my high school buddies. I have another nickname too, but it’s stupid.

Jimmy: My name is James Frechette. Some of my teammates call me Freshy.

Kelly: Hi there. My name is Kelly Tanaka. Since I play hockey, I get called lots of names—most of them unprintable. My teammates back in high school called me Sparky, and my teammates at university call me Tank—it’s kind of a contraction of Tanaka. Also, at this hockey camp I worked at in the summer, I got the nickname, Céline, after a really embarrassing night out.



What is your hair color? Eye color?

Phil: My hair is dark brown. My eyes are hazel.

Jimmy: I guess my hair is light brown or dirty blond, I don’t really know. My eyes are brown too.

Kelly: My hair and eyes are both brown, dark brown.



How old are you?

Phil: Twenty.

Jimmy: I’m 18. It’s my NHL draft year.

Kelly: I’m twenty.



Where were you born? Where have you lived since then? Where do you currently call home?

Jimmy: I was born in Fredericton, New Brunswick—in Eastern Canada. But I left home at fifteen to go to boarding school in the States and play hockey there.  Now I play for UMaine, but I come home every summer. I like to see my family and friends, and I work at a hockey camp.



Who are the people you are closest to?

Phil: Got lots of guy friends, but the one person I’ve always comfortable with is Kelly.

Jimmy: My parents, for sure. I’m an only child. My best friend at school is Marty, Darren Martin. And more and more, I guess it’s Kelly Tanaka. She’s really different, and really 



Who is your funniest friend?

Kelly: I would say that my best friend April Lachance is hilarious. She’s so quick and her sarcasm meter is set on stun. If I’m down, she can always cheer me up.



What is the quality you most like in a man/woman?

Jimmy: I like honesty and sincerity. I hate the phonies.



Which living person do you most despise?

Phil: Right now, I’d have to say—James Frechette. The guy has no clue.



What is your greatest regret?

Phil: I regret the way Kelly and I broke up at the end of high school. Really wish I could get a do-over on that one.



Which talent would you most like to have?

Jimmy: I wish it were easier for me to talk to girls.



Which words or phrases do you most overuse?

Kelly: I swear too much. When I get stressed or emotional, it just pops out. Especially when I’m playing hockey. I blame it on too many years playing hockey with boys. Or maybe that would be too much “effing” time playing hockey with boys.



What is your biggest fear

Jimmy: I fear not achieving my goals, like making it to the NHL.



What is your motto?

Kelly: Work harder.  
I guess I’ve never been the most talented, but I make up for it by working my ass off. Oh sorry, by working my buns off.



What is your favorite thing about hockey?

Jimmy:  It’s the one place where I feel confident that I can do things right. I seem to mess up more off the ice.

Kelly: Well, I love playing games the best. But I also like the time afterwards, when we sit around the dressing room and talk. I like that feeling of camaraderie and reliving the good things that happened.



What or who is the greatest love of your life?

Phil: Kelly Tanaka.

Jimmy: That’s a pretty personal question. There is someone, but I’d rather not talk about it.

Kelly: Hockey is the greatest love of my life… so far. You can’t always count on guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...