Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Monday, October 22, 2018

Shadow and Ice (Gods of War #1) by Gena Showalter Review

Shadow and Ice (Gods of War, #1)Shadow and Ice by Gena Showalter
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I am a big Gena Showalter fan, so I was excited when I found out she was developing a new series. I was also interested by the subject. I like the concept of warriors from different realms being sent to a planet in a winner takes the planet scenario, in a contest called the All War. In this case, they are fighting for Terra, aka Earth. It is sort of like the Hunger games on a galactic level. The warriors are essentially slaves that are fighting for their rulers.

I admit; it took me a couple of chapters to get into the story. I think that often happens with a new series. A lot of groundwork needs to be laid out.

I enjoyed the characters. Knox of Iviland, mistaken for the god Loki on Earth, is a powerful warrior who wants to win the war to become free and avenge the death of his daughter. He is a hardened and fearless warrior. That is until he meets human Vale London. Vale accidentally becomes a contestant in the All War. Both characters develop a lot throughout the story. Especially Vale, who is thrown into an environment she didn’t know existed. Vale and Knox have great chemistry. I like how they challenge each other.

SHADOW AND ICE is skillfully written. The scenes are well described and imaginative. I like that the story starts out on Earth in the past 1026 AA (After Alliance) during Earth’s Viking period and ends up in the present day. This is one of those stories that becomes more riveting as you continue to read it. I am interested in seeing where the series goes. I voluntarily reviewed an advance reader copy of this book.

Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Expected publication: October 23rd 2018 by HQN
Original TitleShadow and Ice
Edition Language: English
Series: Gods of War #1

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...