Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Saturday, October 25, 2014

The Hunt for Snow by S.E. Babin: Guest Post

Title: The Hunt for Snow
Author: S.E. Babin
Series: Fairytale League Book 1
Release Date: October 20, 2014
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Pages: 174

Summary

Fairytales with a twist! Snow has successfully avoided her past for years … until now. With an evil queen bent on her destruction and a hunter bent on her seduction, she has no choice but to run. Who will find her first? S.E. Babin presents The Hunt for Snow, Book 1 of her exciting, new fantasy series, Fairytale League.

Every ten years a convention is held in a neutral location where people from all the realms come together and reunite. This is no ordinary conference, though, because everyone who shows up holds a place of honor in the legends of old. But theres one person who doesnt care that Earth is neutral territory. The Evil Queen, Naomi, is out to settle a score, and shes brought along one of her most talented henchman to teach the one who got away a harsh lesson.

Snows past is shrouded in mystery. Mild cryptozoologist by day, private investigator by night, Snow is dead set on one thing — staying far away from the Huntsman who haunts her dreams. When she shows up to the conference with her two best friends in tow, things start going awry right away. Mere minutes after arriving, they find themselves thrust back into the world theyve tried so hard to avoid. Now, along with the help of her friends, Snow is struggling to stay one step ahead of the queen who wants to destroy her — and the Huntsman who wants to possess her at all costs.

The hunt for Snow is on. But who will find her first?



Available at:

Amazon     B&N

Excerpt


I was making noise like a drunken elephant. I cringed as my boots squicked through the mud and other unmentionables, but I didnt slow my pace any. Thunderous footsteps echoed behind me as Max taunted me.
“Snow White, Im going to geeet yooouuuu. Come here, you sexy little thing.”
I let out a crack of laughter and shot him the finger. But I kept running. Once I reached the entrance, I shimmied up the rocks, but a vise-like grip grabbed my ankle and pulled me down. We crashed into the sewer, me on top of Max and both of us cursing up a blue streak.
“Max! Gross!” I struggled to get out his grip without having to stab him. I was going to have to take a decon bath and get a tetanus shot after all this was done.
He laughed maniacally, but didnt let his grip up. “Keep the wiggling up, lass, and Ill take you in this sewer.”
“Ugh.” As much as I wanted him, I didnt think sewer monkey love would ever be worth it.
I stopped wriggling, and stared at him, those beautiful green eyes looking back at me deep with emotions. I gave him a brilliant smile, straightened my neck, and head-butted him in the nose with my forehead as hard as I could.
His shout of pain made me feel a tad guilty for being such a dirty fighter, literally, but Id given him what he wanted in order to keep him safe—a giant black eye that he could take back to Naomi. His grip relinquished as he continued to groan, and I scrambled off him and out of the dungeon. As I stood above the entrance looking down, Max had one hand over his bloody nose, his eyes swelling and tearing up with both amusement and pain. He shook his head at me as a blood-filled smile quirked his lips.
“Crazy bitch,” he murmured.
I gave him a wave and left him lying there. His pained laughter followed me out.

Author Bio

S.E. Babin has a passion for writing books with a paranormal twist. Whether it's romance or mystery, she loves taking the norm and turning it into the extraordinary. Her love of reading turned into a curious exploration to see whether or not she could write her own novel. Beginning with random, terrible poetry and a slightly popular reimagining of Beowulf's Grendel in her high school English class, Sheryl spent way too much time in the library, killing any chance of her becoming a cheerleader or anything even remotely cool. Find her on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/SEBabin or over on Twitter @hungrybiblio. She loves to hear from readers!


Facebook     Goodreads    Website     Twitter

Guest Post

Please welcome  S.E. Babin to Diane’s Book Blog. 

Adding Personal Fandom Interests to Fiction

First off, I want to say thanks so much for hosting me today!

In every single one of my books, I always include a true story and a reference to one of my beloved fandoms. The fandom references are easy to spot (provided said reader is a fangirl just like I am), but the true stories are not. I’m not even sure I’d own up to some of them if someone managed to figure it out.

In my newest work, The Hunt for Snow, the characters are big Doctor Who fans. In fact, I took it upon myself to land their hotel back in the Enchanted Forest thanks to the meddling of the evil queen, Naomi. The inspiration for this was the episode Smith and Jones, where the hospital is transported to the moon and Martha (Freema Agyeman) is introduced as the 10th Doctor’s new Companion.

What makes the exchange so funny is the main character, Snow, has no clue what anyone is talking about when her friends start discussing the similarities between what Naomi has done and how the 10th Doctor saves the day after the hotel lands in space. Apparently Maleficent has managed to stream cable into the Enchanted Forest, much to the consternation of Snow, who prefers guns and knives to the BBC. Poor Snow…she has no idea what she’s missing.

However, Snow is a huge fan of How I Met Your Mother and once she starts getting knocked around a bit, compares her situation to that of Barney’s when he gets himself entangled in the Slap Bet. If you don’t know what I’m talking about, those episodes are some of the funniest on television today. Neil Patrick Harris is a genius.

For me, it’s easy to sprinkle references to my favorite things in my books because each character has some aspect of my personality. This makes me sound a bit schizophrenic, but I prefer to think of it as multifaceted!

So tell me, readers, are you part of a fandom? Who or what makes your heart sigh? The Winchesters? Castiel as he struggles (and sometimes fails in hilarious ways) to understand humanity? The 10th or 11th Doctor? The pining of Ted Mosby as he searches fruitlessly for his true love on the jaded streets of New York? Or the bad guys? Hey, it’s cool to admire the naughty ones and, honestly, I might question your loyalty if you don’t admit to Crowley being kind of hot in an evil, deliciously devilish way!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...