Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Saturday, November 30, 2013

Interview with "A Portal in Time" author, Claire Fullerton

A Portal in Time

Claire Fullerton



“A Portal in Time” is a 50,000 word paranormal/historical romance about a woman who realizes that she has lived before. Employing oscillating chapters that develop the lives and romances of two women in different time periods, the story begins in the years 2000 and 1901 respectively, in the hauntingly beautiful region on the Monterey Peninsula called Carmel-by-the-Sea, California.

 Rich in mystique, foreshadow and character development, “A Portal in Time” is an oscillating, liner growth story steeped in the language and social mores of two different eras with characters both central and supporting whose words and actions fit seamlessly together and bridge the time frames like pieces of a puzzle.

available at:
Amazon, Barns and Noble, All Romance, All Romance E-Books, Overdrive and KOBO.


Interview:


Please welcome "A Portal in Time" author, Claire Fullerton, who has joined us today for an interview.

What inspired you to write "A Portal in Time"? 
I have an uncanny affinity for a particular region on the Monterey Peninsula called Carmel-by-the-Sea, which is five hours from where my husband and I live in southern California. It reminds me a lot of the western coast of Ireland, where I once lived, and we go up there frequently because I think the region is absolutely magical for all its mist, forests and coastal beauty. On one visit, we stayed in an historic hotel whose lobby was once part of the original home of an artistic couple around the time of the early 19thcentury. As my husband checked us in, I surveyed the opulent lobby and felt a sense of its history from looking at old photographs on the wall.  An enticing Mediterranean staircase swept upstairs, piquing my imagination. I walked up the staircase and spied a wooden door at the end of the hall. Clearly, I thought, if this was once someone’s home, an entire story exists behind that door, and that’s when the idea for “A Portal in Time” came to me. 
 How long did it take you to write "A Portal in Time"? 
It took me the inside of a year.  Once I was satisfied I’d written a good story in oscillating chapters of differing time periods, I sent a copy of the draft to three friends. When all three reported they loved the story, I sat down and scrutinized the manuscript in layers. I went over it making sure it was at its best with foreshadow, then I combed it for setting, once again for dialogue then lastly, continuity.  When I was confident I had the manuscript in its best form, I sent it to Vinspire Publishing and signed their contract about eleven months after I started the book.
Who or what inspired you to be a writer?
I grew up in the Deep South, and was surrounded by some of the best story tellers on earth. Southerners can take the most mundane of incidents and weave it into verbal artwork. Also, from a very early age, I felt compelled to document my life by keeping a journal and the process was instrumental in developing writing technique! If you combine the two with a chameleon nature, the yearning to communicate, and the desire to share, you have the foundation of a writer!
What books have most influenced your life?
 I have been most moved by family saga’s such as “The Prince of Tides,” “To Kill a Mockingbird,” and many of Phillipa Gregory’s historical novels.
  
Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?
Without peer, Pat Conroy is my favorite writer of all times. His command of the English language and his lyrical turn of a sentence brings me to my knees. Conroy writes about life's nuances with the most deftly handled craft I've ever seen.
What is your typical day like?  
My days are committed to submerging myself in what makes my heart sing, which means writing tempered with some form of exercise. I always have some writing project on my desk, be it another novel in process or submitting to magazines and contests as well as the “Chicken Soup for the Soul” book series. Usually, I have many projects in play at once!  It does occur to me that writing can be an isolating pursuit, so one has to find a balance for their well-being.  I stay connected to friends, go on long walks and catch up - that kind of thing. Also, I have always loved ballet and attend class twice a week.  I can’t neglect to mention my husband and I have two German shepherds that are the center of our world and they are always in need of something!
             
How do you overcome writer’s block?

I seriously think writer’s block is a myth! I think there is an ebb and flow to the creative process wherein there are times when it’s perfectly okay to let go and breathe. I think awareness of the creative process is imperative, and knowing when to move and when to stand still is a natural part of the dynamic.  If I grow tired or feel as if I am “pushing,” then I walk away from my desk knowing I will return when I have regrouped, if that makes sense. I think rather than calling it writer’s block, it’s best thought of as writer’s process.
Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

Thank you for reading me! Every book I write is aimed at inspiring you!

Author Links:

    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...