Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Richard Mercer Spotlight & Interview

The Turning
Dark Emperor Series #1
by Richard Mercer

Jiran is sick of being pushed around, sick of lacking the strength he needs to stand up for himself. Time and time again he proved to be too weak to protect himself or those around him. He decides that he will no longer let that happen. Jiran travels to the summit of Bincloak Mountain, seeking a mysterious stone rumored to enhance the beholder's physical and mental attributes.











Final Shipment
by Richard Mercer

Carson was just an average guy, with an average job. He served aboard the Nauk, shipping much needed supplies and food to different planets all across the galaxy. He was doing his routine rounds, checking for oxygen leaks, when disaster struck. At first they thought it was a glitch, an organism being detected through a leak in the hull. Oh, how wrong they were.













The Outpost
Nuclear Survivors Series #1
by Richard Mercer

Crayton has always looked forward to the day when he could join the rest of The Outpost in doing daily chores for the good of the community. But his mission goes wrong when another colony tries to cheat him and his mentor, Jared, out of a bag of gas-masks. Jared gets shot in the leg and one of the rivals revealed that their colony, the Haefen colony, plans to attack The Outpost. With this in mind, Crayton has to deal with bloodthirsty mutants, dirty bandits and an earthquake, all while helping Jared limp back to The Outpost to warn the others. 






Author Interview:

I would like to thank Richard Mercer for stopping by today to tell us a little about himself and his works.

What inspired you to write your first book?

Well, I read a lot as a child, and I dreamed of writing my own book. My love of reading is what started it all, so I toiled away, night after night, writing stories. It's very discouraging to write as a child, because you know that what you've written doesn't sound right, but you don't know how to fix it. My love of writing and reading survived my constant frustration, however, and here I am!

What is your favorite book that you wrote?

I'd have to say Final Shipment. It's a short story that I really enjoyed writing. When writing that book, I felt like I finally learned about how powerfully flashbacks can be used. I learned how to sprinkle the flashbacks in to keep it tense, yet provide the backstory the book needed to move on.

What book are you reading now?

Brandon Sanderson's The Way of Kings. He is very good at writing fantasy.

What do you prefer paperback, hardcover, or ebooks?

I prefer ebooks now. I used to love paperback and I protested at the thought of an e-reader. At first I thought it would hurt my eyes and that I'd miss the smell and feel of paper. I was wrong. I love the e-reader now because I can bump up the font if I need to, and I don't need a light to read by. I do not miss paperback at all.

How do you overcome writer’s block?

That's a tough one. I don't really overcome it; one of two things happen. Either I write anyway, grabbing myself by the neck and pulling myself along, or I just take a break. Either can happen, though it usually ends in the latter, not the former.

Can you share a little of your current work with us?

My current project is a collection of really short stories set in a city called Chronoton. These stories are meant to be very short and packed with mystery. Strange scientists in lab coats roam the city, knocking on people's doors for "government business". Unholy occurrences and other supernatural events are commonplace.

Thanks for having me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...